The Arctic is a place so unique that we have the responsibility to treat it with care. Jennifer Morgan, Greenpeace’s new international executive director, writes why the new ocean that is emerging at the top of our world needs protecting.
1. THE THREAT IS IMMINENT – WHY, CLICK here >>
2. PRESERVE PRISTINE PLACES – WHY, CLICK here >>
3. EVEN MAJOR COMPANIES ARE ON BOARD – WHY, CLICK here >>
4. BOTTOM-TRAWLERS ARE BULLDOZERS – WHY, CLICK here >>
5. IT IS ABOUT PLASTIC TOO – WHY, CLICK here >>
6. AN AMAZING ECOSYSTEM IS AT STAKE – WHY, CLICK here >>
7. IT COMES DOWN TO A MORAL PRINCIPLE – WHY, CLICK here >>
WHY THE ARCTIC IS SO VITAL ? – Please read carefully Greenpeace’ analysis:
“… In the last 30 years, we’ve lost as much as three-quarters of the floating sea ice cover at the top of the world. The volume of that sea ice measured by satellites in the summer, when it reaches its smallest, has shrunk so fast that scientists say it’s now in a ‘death spiral’.
For over 800,000 years, ice has been a permanent feature of the Arctic ocean. It’s melting because of our use of dirty fossil fuel energy, and in the near future it could be ice free for the first time since humans walked the Earth. This would be not only devastating for the people, polar bears, narwhals, walruses and other species that live there – but for the rest of us too.
The ice at the top of the world reflects much of the sun’s heat back into space and keeps our whole planet cool, stabilising the weather systems that we depend on to grow our food. Protecting the ice means protecting us all… more info under www.savethearctic.org“.